Gambling is one of the most insidious of human activities, as it gives the illusion of easy money yet can quickly lead to financial ruin. The odds are never in your favour whether it is poker, blackjack or anything else; gambling is a booming industry because the house always wins.
There are different types of gambling, and it may not always appear apparent when someone is addicted to gambling. Contrary to popular belief, problem gambling is not restricted to slot machines, cards and casinos. Purchasing a lottery ticket, participating in a raffle or making a bet with a friend are also forms of gambling.
What Are the Signs of Gambling Addiction?
- The signs of a gambling problem are usually similar to signs of other addictions. Common symptoms of addiction include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Being Feeling secretive about gambling activity
- Having trouble controlling gambling habits
- Continuing gambling when you cannot afford to
- Your friends and family begin to express concern about your gambling
Of course, as with any other addiction, the hallmark sign of a gambling problem is that you cannot stop. If you feel like you need to try just one more time, or if you feel anxious when you think about quitting, it is most likely you are having an issue with gambling addiction.